Working with under-5s Toolkit
A practical toolkit that gives early years practitioners and childminders a range of resources to understand, reinforce and enable good practice in supporting children’s speech, language and communication needs.
The second in the I CAN Toolkit series, Understanding Communication Development (UCD) - Working with under-5s, will help practitioners develop their knowledge and help identify strategies they can use to:
- Support speech, language and communication development of babies, toddlers and young pre-school children.
- Report to parents on their children’s development progress.
- Develop sustainable good practice within their setting.
The UCD Toolkit also contains a stock of resources to be distributed or lent to parents which reinforce the session learning. It includes the following:
- Understanding Communication Development - An informative book which describes what we mean by communication and how children make progress developing it. Available separately for £8.99.
- Making a Difference - A book which examines how to implement good practice in SLC for those working in early years settings, childminders and people providing services for young children. The book also includes signposting towards obtaining further training and validation. Available separately for £8.99.
- Progress Check: communication and language - A progress check for early years practitioners to share with parents of children between 24 - 36 months, giving parents information on their child’s language and communication developments. Also available separately for £4.99.
- Learning to Talk DVD.
- Babbling Babies, Toddler Talk and Chatting with Children – Our beautifully illustrated activity cards containing 30 fun activities for birth to 18 months, 18 months to 3 years and 3 to 5+ years. Now in our new paperback cases.
- Ready Steady Talk – An activity book of great games to help children get ready for pre-school and beyond
- 5 x Talk Together leaflets.
- Stages of speech, language and development poster.
- 5 x Top techniques to develop children’s speech and language poster.